Argonne National Laboratory Accelerator Operations Engineer in Lemont, Illinois
Accelerator Operations Engineer
Requisition Number: 407361 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: EOF-Experimental Operations and Facilities
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Experimental Operations and Facilities Division, with an annual budget of over $30M and over 60 employees, operates high hazard facilities for Energy and Global Security Directorate. Our expertise spans operations of the facilities for development of medical isotope production, materials behavior, and detection and diagnostic systems. Division facilities include radiological and engineering development laboratories. Our key sponsors include the U.S. Department of Energy – Office of Nuclear Energy and National Nuclear Security Administration, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, other Federal agencies, and the private sector.
In this exciting roleas IVEM Facility Engineer,we are seeking candidates to be responsible for the operation and maintenance for the Intermediate Voltage Electron Microscopy accelerator facility and associated vacuum, and mechanical, and electrical systems.
In this position, you will:
- Operate and maintain ion accelerator for the IVEM Facility.
- Responsible for accelerator mechanical and electrical systems including cooling and vacuum.
- Responsible for maintaining pneumatic and electronic controls of beamlines
- Work with research staff to design and carryout accelerator experiments.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of laboratory policies and procedures.
To be considered you must have:
- Skills and experience in accelerator operation, maintenance, repair and upgrades.
- Skills and experience in designing, testing, and maintaining mechanical and electronic equipment and vacuum systems.
- Experience in working with computer systems for process control and data collection and analysis
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Skills in CAD are desirable.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT2 or PT3) depending upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience brought to the position. The requirements for the desired levels are as follows:
- PT2- Bachelor’s in engineering or related field and 2 years of experience or equivalent
- PT3- Master’s Degree in engineering or related field and 2+ years of experience or Bachelor’s in engineering or related field and 4+years of experience.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.