Argonne National Laboratory APS-U Deputy Project Manager in Lemont, Illinois
APS-U Deputy Project Manager
Requisition Number: 405551 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Other Division: PSC-Photon Sciences
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PTL3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) is a U.S. Department of Energy multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented researchers work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity. Argonne operates User Facilities that provide researchers with open access to the most advanced tools of modern science. Each year, over 10,000 researchers from academia, industry, and government laboratories use these facilities to perform new scientific research. The largest of these User facilities is the Advanced Photon Source (APS), which for more than two decades has been used by thousands of researchers to explore fundamental questions of matter and energy at the electronic, atomic and molecular levels, providing foundations for new energy technologies and to support missions in energy, environment and national security. Recently an $815M upgrade project at the APS has been baselined by the Department of Energy that will increase performance by two to three orders of magnitude. In conjunction with ongoing APS Operations efforts, the combined efforts of the Upgrade and Operations will ensure the facility remains world leading for decades into the future.
At this time, The Advanced Photon Source Upgrade (APS-U) Project is seeking an exceptional candidate to serve as the APS-U Deputy Project Manager. Reporting to the APS-U Project Manager, the APS-U Deputy Project Manager will join the ANL Photon Science Directorate and APS-U leadership team to help to coordinate and execute project management functions by setting project objectives, coordinating and monitoring project activities and the project plan, and identifying issues and corresponding solutions in a constructive team manner.
- Represent the APS-U to Photon Science colleagues, APS Users, other Laboratory entities, the Department of Energy, and Industrial Partners as required.
- Participate in, and lead as requested, project meetings such as weekly project management meetings, periodic meetings with APS-U subprojects, laboratory and industry partners, and sponsoring organizations.
- Participate in, and lead as requested, development of project documentation and plans including potentially monthly reports and presentations, design reports, QA plans, safety documentation, and hazard analyses.
- Work with all members of the APS-U and laboratory team to develop solutions to issues as they arise and keep the Project moving forward in the best manner possible.
- Coordinate APS-U project change control requests leading up to and through approvals such that sufficient documentation is developed consistent with procedures and addressed in a timely manner.
- Assist with development and review of cost and schedule estimates, monitor and manage obligations and costs to budgets, as well as analyze schedules.
- May participate in negotiations to obtain and maintain resources with laboratory and collaboration management.
- Participate in internal and external reviews, both as a reviewer and as a reviewee. Enhance the national and international presence of Argonne through participation in and collaboration on other projects’ reviews.
- Other duties as assigned by the PM.
- Abide by and responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or Business Administration, with a Master’s degree preferred.
- A combination of 10+ years of experience in technical and project management is required.
- Strong communication skills, including listening, oral presentations, report and technical writing, and the ability to explain concepts to others.
- Must be fluent with MS Office tools, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook. Knowledge of and experience with Sharepoint preferred.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time preferred.
- Ability to work in databases related to project management as a user is essential, such as for change control and risk management.
- Knowledge of Primavera P6 and Deltek Cobra, preferred.
- Experience on DOE 413.3b projects strongly desired.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.