Argonne National Laboratory Assistant Radiofrequency Engineer - RD2 in Lemont, Illinois
Assistant Radiofrequency Engineer - RD2
Requisition Number: 408456 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: ASD-Accelerator Systems Division
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Radio Frequency Group, as part of the Accelerator Systems Division (ASD) of the Advanced Photon Source (APS), is responsible for operation, maintenance and enhancement of the APS RF systems. The group seeks to improve RF system performance and develop new technology in support of operations and future particle accelerators.
The RF Group is seeking an Assistant RF Engineer with a strong background in high power RF systems, RF electronics, RF cavities and components design including simulations and analysis applying electrodynamics and microwave engineering techniques. The prime responsibility will be to assist with the design, commissioning, operation and maintenance of RF hardware in support of operations and future upgrades, participate and assist in different phases of implementing new high-power solid-state RF amplifier systems for the APS storage ring, and participate and assist on RF accelerator development for future accelerators. Knowledge and experience with high power RF hardware and systems is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience, or Master’s Degree and 3+ years, or Doctorate and 0 years.
The engineer is expected to have a broad skillset in high power RF systems including:
- RF generators, including klystrons and solid-state rf amplifiers (SSPA)
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Electromagnetic simulations including rf cavities and components.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in RF measurements
- Extensive knowledge and skills to analyze complex rf accelerator components
- Strong general knowledge of electronic and RF test equipment.
- Strong working knowledge of advanced rf/microwave measurement techniques and skills to use rf laboratory equipment.
Other related areas of experience:
- RF systems for particle accelerators
- Basic knowledge of high-voltage/high power DC power supply design
- Development and application of test procedures for radio frequency components and systems.
- High-frequency testing techniques extending to millimeter wave and infrared applications
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.