Argonne National Laboratory Business Development Executive in Lemont, Illinois
Business Development Executive
Requisition Number: 406346 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: General Business Management Division: STP-Science and Technology Partnerships and Outreach
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory is looking for a Business Development Executive within the Science and Technology Partnerships and Outreach (STP) Division.
The Business Development Executive will independently identify, evaluate and transfer commercially viable technologies of Argonne National Laboratory. Responsible for each project assigned from disclosure assessment through executing licenses and other agreements related to that technology. Leads teams responsible for protecting and commercializing intellectual property generated by Argonne National Laboratory and its researchers. Identifies and evaluates intellectual property and provides input to secure optimal patent protection for researchers` inventions. Identifies best path to commercialization for selected projects. Leads negotiations of associated license agreements to ensure that licensed projects realize expected returns. Assists in the establishment of new venture start-ups and in litigation associated with ANL intellectual property. Oversees all communication with researchers regarding license negotiations, and licensed programs. Educates researchers on the importance of patent process. Leads the determination of patentability and commercial potential of researchers` inventions, including market opportunity, competition, and intellectual property position. Prioritizes projects according to commercial opportunities and revenue requirements. Prepares, reviews and approves as appropriate documentation associated with Strategic Partnership Project (SPP) and Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA).
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists, engineers, and business professionals work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment. Ever since we were born out of the University of Chicago’s work on the Manhattan Project in the 1940s, our goal has been to make an impact — from the atomic to the human to the global scale.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Awareness of intellectual property issues related to engineering and science required.
- Experience in R&D environment is preferred
- Experience in technology road-mapping and technology strategy is desirable
- Knowledge of business/project plan development preferred.
- Ability to develop value propositions and marketing strategies required.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage complex, time-sensitive issues.
- Advanced science or engineering degree (PhD is preferred) plus a minimum of three years of relevant industry experience OR a Master of Science degree plus a minimum of five years of relevant industry experience required.
- MBA or equivalent industry experience is preferred.
- Strong desire to work with early stage technologies and seeking pathways to make impact is a plus
- Inclination to work in a service role in support of R&D is preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Must be authorized to work in U.S.
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract. Illegal drug testing as defined in 10 CFR 707.4 and a background investigation will be required prior to employment. Subsequent re-investigations may be required.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT3 or PT4) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a PT3 Level: Bachelor’s and 4+ years, some occupations may require graduate degree and 2+ years
- At a PT4 Level: Bachelor’s and 6+ years, some occupations may require graduate degree and 4+ years
At Argonne, we explore the world together in order to build a better one.
Employee benefits are a key factor when evaluating a career opportunity. At Argonne, you’ll find a comprehensive array of benefits to meet a variety of needs. In addition to medical, dental, life and disability coverage, you’ll have access to paid time off, a retirement plan with a generous match and a number of other benefits, such as onsite wellness facilities, an on-site child care center and auto and homeowners’ insurance.
With outstanding benefits, competitive pay, wellness programs and a stimulating and attractive work environment, Argonne is a tremendous place to pursue your career.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.