Argonne National Laboratory Clean Room Manager in Lemont, Illinois
Clean Room Manager
Requisition Number: 408455 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: NST-Nanoscience and Technology
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Nanoscience and Technology Division/Center for Nanoscale Materials (CNM) at Argonne National Laboratory has an available Clean Room Manager position within the Nanofabrication and Devices Group, funded through the CNM program.
The Nanofabrication and Devices (NFD) group at the Center for Nanoscale Materials (CNM), Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) is looking for a clean room manager who will serve as a central person managing overall operations of the cleanroom. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team of scientists and engineers with diverse expertise in synthesis, processing of materials, nanofabrication, quantum science, surfaces and interfaces.
The candidate will primarily be responsible for the operation of the cleanroom by working closely with the NFD group leader and the group members, CNM management, Argonne cleanroom team and CNM safety. The cleanroom has 18,000 sq. feet of class 1000 cleanroom space consisting of the CNM and Argonne cleanrooms (ACR) and houses state-of-the-art equipment with around 400 users accessing the cleanroom/year.
- Providing cleanroom (ACR-CNM) orientation (safety orientation, gowning/de-gowning, general operation principals).
- Work with NFD staff members in writing standard operating procedures for the cleanroom and keep them up to date.
- The successful candidate will work with tool custodians on keeping up-to-date safety documents for installation, service and maintenance.
- Take care of all activities within the cleanroom such as placing new and/or renewing service/maintenance contracts and new equipment placement.
- The candidate will work with the NFD group leader, NFD staff members and CNM safety in ensuring all safety procedures are followed towards the safe operation of the cleanroom.
- Review ACR proposals and work with ACR project PIs on facilitating the smooth operation of the cleanroom.
- Participate actively in writing equipment proposals to acquire new tools for the clean room.
- Provide cleanroom outreach activities (tours, discussions, etc.).
- Coordinate facilities modifications, etc. by working with appropriate groups (such as facilities/operations, administration).
- Coordinate efforts to resolve facilities problems with equipment (pumps, chillers, gas supply, spinners, hotplates, etc.).
- Schedule periodic maintenance (Chillers, pumps, etc.) and coordinate supplies to ensure continuous operation (LN2 refill, process gases, etc.).
- Manage cleanroom budget in consultation with the NFD group leader.
- Provide regular updates/changes about cleanroom operations to NFD group, staff/users and the CNM user office.
Qualification and Experience:
- Strong working experience in the cleanroom is required.
- Ph.D. degree in physical sciences is preferred.
- Working experience as a cleanroom manager in the semiconductor industry or in the university/national lab will be highly desirable.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD2 or RD3) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a RD2 Level: Bachelor’s and 5+ years, or Master’s and 3+ years, or Doctorate and 0 years.
- At a RD3 Level: Bachelor’s and 8+ years, Master’s and 5+ years, or Doctorate and 4+ years.
Interested candidates should send a detailed curriculum vitae including a list of publications and the names and addresses of three professional references through the Argonne web site at http://www.anl.gov/careers for requisition number NST 408455. For additional questions, please contact Dr. Anirudha Sumant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Argonne is a U.S. Department of Energy laboratory managed by UChicago Argonne, LLC. Argonne is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in our workforce. In addition to providing a stimulating intellectual environment, Argonne’s suburban location provides easy access to the city’s cultural and educational benefits.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.