Argonne National Laboratory Computational Mathematician for Numerical PDEs and Scientific Computing RD5/RD6 in Lemont, Illinois
Computational Mathematician for Numerical PDEs and Scientific Computing RD5/RD6
Requisition Number: 408512 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: MCS-Mathematics and Computer Science
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD5 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Laboratory for Applied Mathematics, Numerical Software, and Statistics (LANS) in the Mathematics and Computer Science Division at Argonne is seeking a research staff member in the area of partial differential equations (PDEs), numerical software, and scientific computing. The staff member will perform basic research in mathematics and computer science and will build computational tools and methods for the solution of computational science problems on distributed and/or scalable parallel computers.
- A Master's or Doctorate degree in computer science, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or a related discipline
- Documented and comprehensive expertise in numerical analysis, computational science, or high-performance computing
- Experience developing algorithms and software libraries for the scalable solution of PDEs
- Potential to provide project leadership and generate outside funding for research
Desired but not required:
- Experience using software libraries with science and engineering application codes
- Experience with the Portable Extensible Toolkit for Scientific computation (PETSc) package
- Experience with the discretization of PDEs and the solution of linear and nonlinear systems arising from PDEs
This position may be hired at either of the two levels, based on the following minimum qualifications:
- RD5: Bachelor’s and 15+ years, Master’s and 12+ years, or Doctorate and 10+ years, or equivalent
- RD6: Bachelor’s and 20+ years, Master’s and 15+ years, or Doctorate and 15+ years, or equivalent
The appointment level will be commensurate with experience; earlier career applicants are encouraged to apply to the associated RD2-RD3 posting (Requisition #408511).
Openings are available immediately, but there is flexibility in start dates for highly qualified candidates. More information on applied mathematics, numerical software, and statistics work at Argonne may be found at https://www.anl.gov/mcs/lans .
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.