Argonne National Laboratory Contracts Attorney in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 405424 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Legal Division: LEG-Legal Department
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PA5 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory is searching for an experienced Contracts Attorney to join its Legal Department. Applicants will have a solid grounding in federal regulatory, insurance and contract law. Experience in general law and ability to advise in the areas of intellectual property, technology and information security is preferred.
The Contracts Attorney is responsible for providing comprehensive legal counsel and expertise in a multitude of issues, specifically in procurement and federal acquisitions, outlining risk and providing risk assessments to the Laboratory’s business leaders, and building relationships in order to deal effectively with all levels of Argonne, the Department of Energy and University of Chicago.
A successful candidate will be a seasoned attorney with at least 10 years of experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experiences:
- Knowledge of federal contract law, federal acquisition regulations and procurements in a government contractor setting.
- Knowledge in intellectual property, federal laws and regulations and general law.
- Some knowledge in technology and information security.
- Analytical skills and the ability to think through critical information and make informed recommendations in a thorough and well organized manner.
- Skill in negotiation, client service and ability to interact effectively with Argonne personnel, take ownership of problems and drive issues to closure, manage and influence committees.
- Skill is required in legal draftsmanship, ability to perform legal research, advocacy, strong oral and written communication skills to be knowledgeable and persuasive and inspire confidence in colleagues at all levels of Argonne.
- Ability to successfully combine responsiveness and strong client service with the need to act as an advisor representing the institution in difficult and sensitive issues.
- Ability to assimilate complex data to identify key issues and aid decision-making.
- Ability to work efficiently within certain time constraints and under pressure to achieve desired goals.
- Ability to gain security clearance as required by the Laboratory.
- Undergraduate degree in the sciences or engineering is beneficial.
- Prior experience in a research and development setting is beneficial.
- Steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- J.D. and licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PA5 or PA6) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a PA5 Level: Bachelor’s and 10+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree and 6+ years or equivalent.
- At a PA6 Level: Bachelor's and 15+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree and 10+ years or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.