Argonne National Laboratory Controls Engineer in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 408592 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: AES-APS Engineering Support Division
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Designs, develops, tests and verifies complex electrical, electronic and/or software systems and components. Analyzes engineering plans and projects to establish operating data and conducts experimental tests; analyzes proposals and related technical data to develop design alternatives. Interfaces with other organizations to communicate design specifications and address design and integration issues. Work may encompass a wide range of sophisticated (cross-discipline) engineering problem resolutions. Interfaces with the system customer and those responsible for development, testing, and implementation of the system and its elements ("Elements" of a system may include mechanical, electrical, or electromechanical components or subsystems; equipment within a facility; sensors, application-oriented software, and electronic data.)
Designs, develops, and maintains primarily PLC-based mission-critical safety interlock systems for the APS accelerators and beamlines. Works as an effective member of a team, working closely with other software and hardware engineers, APS beamline staff and users, and other APS personnel involved in associated activities including shared on-call duties.
- Skills in hardware, software, and electrical design for safety interlock systems and associated control systems.
- Considerable skills in using Allen Bradley ControlLogix and/or GuardLogix PLCs in control system design.
- Skills in programming and troubleshooting FactoryTalk SE software.
- Considerable skills in using Allen Bradley View Studio 5000.
- Skills in troubleshooting hardware and software.
- Considerable skills in control system network design and troubleshooting.
- Skills in maintaining documentation for hardware and software applications
- Experience with the application of functional safety standards (IEC 61508, IEC 62061, IEC 61511, ISO 13849) and the application of functional safety concepts to machine guarding and access control.
- Experience in the development of modular PLC control programs including the development on AOIs, UDTs, Array management and state machine control.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
RD2 Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0 years, or equivalent.
RD3 Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree and 8+ years of experience; Master’s and 5+ years; or Doctorate and 4+ years; or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.