Argonne National Laboratory Design Lead in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 410222 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Communications/Media Services Division: CPA-Communications and Public Affairs
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PA3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Creative Services department at Argonne National Laboratory is seeking a Design Lead to join their team of experienced creative professionals providing full-service design, photography, video and print services. This role will conceptualize designs and facilitate the creation of integrated design solutions that effectively communicate scientific, engineering, business, facilities, and operations information to audiences ranging from the general public to subject matter experts. Typical works include print collateral, websites, digital communications and assets, digital presentations, and environmental graphics.
- Create integrated graphic design solutions that effectively communicate with intended audiences and support the Laboratory’s brand / sponsors’ brands.
- Take in and clarify objectives and goals of clients, having a client-service mindset.
- Parse and translate key aspects of complex, large-scale scientific and business concepts into visual solutions with the ability to process information quickly.
- Translate key aspects of scientific, business, facilities, and operations concepts into brand-focused graphic design solutions that achieve clients’ communication goals.
- Understand and use brand standards effectively.
- Develop and execute first-of-a-kind design solutions for visual communications, art directing and partnering with design staff, based on creative direction and brand standards, with efficiency and maintaining high creative standards.
- Work with external contract agencies/vendors to maintain a full spectrum of resources.
- Coordinate all phases of preparing graphic design products including the definition of scope, design, cost, and schedule options.
- Manage multiple projects, work under deadlines, and lead teams in high-pressure situations.
- Engage in detailed visual storytelling, storyboarding, wireframing, and information architecture.
- Act as initial interface to the client on issues regarding the creative deliverables, as needed.
- Manage project details for accuracy and efficiency.
Cultivate and maintain productive working relationships with internal and external customers at all levels.
Must have online portfolio demonstrating cross-channel campaigns (spanning brand development, communications, events, digital, PR, and social media) with business-to-business corporate in-house agency/design firm focus.
- Verbal and written communication skills with persuasive presentation skills.
- Expert-level user of Adobe CS.
- Advanced knowledge of PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with digital platforms, UI/UX design, and web development toolsets.
- Knowledge of current trends, principles of, and professional standards for branding, layout, typography, color usage, photography / illustration usage, and creative graphic design to support business, scientific, and organizational goals.
- Knowledge of capabilities of state-of-the art graphic design software applicable to print, web/digital assets, digital presentations, and environmental works.
- Knowledge of in-house and commercial manufacturing capabilities for final production output of print, web/digital assets, digital presentations, and environmental works.
- Critical thinking skills and innovative problem solving, using reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses and creativity to seek alternative solutions and approaches to challenges.
- Knowledge and proficient use of Macintosh computer systems for graphic design purposes, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated excellence in design project management, planning, and driving projects to successful outcomes.
- Proven ability to be highly responsive, meet demanding deadlines, prioritize and handle a large number of diverse projects and issues within budget and without creating an atmosphere of stress or anxiety.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic work setting.
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills, working through both influence and control on cross-functional teams in order to achieve a common goal.
- Knowledge of spelling and basic English grammar.
- Steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
PA3: Bachelor's degree + 4 years of experience, or a Master's degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.