Argonne National Laboratory Ecologist - Terrestrial/Aquatic in Lemont, Illinois
Ecologist - Terrestrial/Aquatic
Requisition Number: 405419 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: EVS-Environmental Science
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD2
Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Conduct studies on the effects of human activities on terrestrial and/or aquatic ecosystems. Report the analysis and conclusions from these studies in environmental impact assessments, journal publications, and other technical reports. Frequently work as task manager or project leader on assignments related to ecological assessments.
- Knowledge of ecological systems and population ecology including terrestrial, aquatic, and/or wetland systems.
- Knowledge of current ecological modeling software and quantitative ecology methods.
- Knowledge of machine learning using high performance computing. Research new methods for applying machine learning to ecology.
- Knowledge of statistical methods applied to ecology.
- Knowledge of animal and/or plant populations and the effects on those populations.
- Knowledge of ecological risk assessment techniques.
- Knowledge of the use of geospatial methods, tools, and techniques, to model and analyze ecosystem perturbations.
- Ability to work collaboratively and develop working relationships with industry, academia, and NGOs for the purpose of research.
- Knowledge of national environmentally related issues facing environmental resource managers and agencies.
- Skill in effectively communicating with sponsors, managers, and other professionals.
- Skill in proposal development.
- Skill in developing new ideas, techniques and methodologies, and adapting them to current research and assessment problems.
- Ability to work collaboratively with remote sensing and proximal sensing experts
- Experience with e-DNA techniques preferred
- Ability to document the results of technical work in the form of reports, journal articles, conference papers, etc.
- Actively participates in seminars, conferences and other scientific/engineering meetings
RD1 Requirement: Bachelor’s and 0 years, Master’s and 0 years, or equivalent.
RD2 Requirement: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0 years, or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.