Argonne National Laboratory Emergency Management Specialist, COOP in Lemont, Illinois
Emergency Management Specialist, COOP
Requisition Number: 405549 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Facilities/Security/Waste Management Division: STE-Security, Travel and Emergency Services Division
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PA3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Argonne Office of Emergency Management implements the requirements of comprehensive planning, preparedness, response, and recovery activities of the site Emergency Management Program. Argonne National Laboratory is one of the top scientific destinations in the world. Argonne occupies 1,500 wooded acres 21 miles southwest of Chicago in DuPage County, Ill.
Our mission is to develop, implement and maintain a Comprehensive Emergency Management Program at Argonne National Laboratory designed to:
- Promote effective and efficient integration of all applicable policies, recommendations, and requirements, including Federal interagency emergency plans.
- Protect the health and safety of all workers and the public from hazards associated with onsite and offsite hazards.
- Prevent damage to the environment.
- Minimize the consequences of all emergencies involving or affecting departmental facilities, and activities; through an integrated approach of coordinated and collaborative planning, training and exercising.
We invite you to apply for the Emergency Management Specialist opening. In this role, you will participate in the enhancement of the program administration and readiness assurance elements. Under limited supervision, your responsibilities will include:
- Maintenance and enhancement of the Argonne Continuity of Operations Program, including plan maintenance, procedure development, training, drills and exercises.
- Administration of assessment requirements of the Office of Emergency Management, developing self-assessment plans, tracking issues and opportunities for improvement, and developing lessons learned from drills, exercises and real events.
- Management of the Area Emergency Supervisor (AES) program, conduct and evaluation of annual building drills, collection and validation of the annual Building Emergency Questionnaires, and coordination of the weather spotter program.
- Participation on Argonne’s Emergency Management Team, working in the Emergency Operations Center during site emergencies.
We expect you to have:
- Good understanding of all-hazards emergency management and continuity of operations principles.
- Minimum of a 4-year college degree or equivalent experience, preferably in business continuity, emergency management, security, or related public safety field.
- 6+ years relevant experience in business continuity, emergency management, inspection and audit, and risk management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of technical, professional and management personnel.
- Strong skills in oral, written and interpersonal communications, organization and time management, and the ability to work independently and within a team.
- Proficient in use of computers, specifically Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications.
- Working knowledge of Argonne National Laboratory, the site, its occupants, and its hazards is preferable.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.