Argonne National Laboratory Head of Events and Protocol Leader in Lemont, Illinois
Head of Events and Protocol Leader
Requisition Number: 408538 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Communications/Media Services Division: CPA-Communications and Public Affairs
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PAL2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Our Communications and Public Affairs division is seeking a Head of Events and Protocol Leader to join their team. This role will lead a team that drives face-to-face engagements with Argonne National Lab for high profile visitors from DOE, government, industry, academia (not K-12 Education) and the local community, determines which visits/tours/open houses should or should not move forward, establishes vision for events we determine have strategic value to the Lab, develops agenda that best positions the Lab in the eyes of a given audience, directs team that provides logistical support, ensures follow up as appropriate, and manages budget and resources to execute on the vision for Lab visits.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Setting vision for VIP Events at the Lab
- Managing all logistics via support team of internal and occasional contracted resources
- Engaging Lab Director, Chief of Staff, Associate Laboratory Directors, Executive Team members and other stakeholders (DOE, U of C, etc.) in the development of agendas, pre-read and event collateral
- Integrating and communicating with all parties (speakers, hosts, security, catering, facilities, photography/video, etc.) involved in executing the event plan
- Ensuring proper brand representation and exemplary customer satisfaction for visits and tours
- Executing all events and visits with utmost consideration for safety and security and an eye to diversity/equity/inclusion
- Driving strategy for tiered support for visits of varying levels of strategic importance
- Documenting processes for repeatability, identifying and capturing opportunities for continuous improvement
- Coordinating follow-on actions to foster ongoing engagement with visitor(s)
- Supervising event staff, guiding team priorities and cooperation, growing team skills and effectiveness
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable with highly fluid situations and strong personalities.
- Strong people management, working through both influence and control.
- Outstanding communications skills both written and verbal.
- Client service mindset, putting interests of the visitors/audience at the center of the planning.
- Executive presence, able to interact with senior leadership at the Lab, high level government and elected officials, and C-level executives from industry.
- Experience in working under pressure, maintaining integrity and confidentiality of information.
- Skill in verbal and written communication including the ability to create and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to listen to client needs and requirements (including budget) and translate them into actionable plans and deliverables in a collaborative, efficient manner.
- Conscientious budget management and steward of Lab resources.
- Deadline driven, highly responsive without creating an atmosphere of stress or anxiety.
- Experience dealing with a culturally diverse population and understanding cultural differences inside the Lab as well as with our users and visitors.
- Familiarity with event management tools and best practices.
- Dedication to quality and attention to detail.
- Budget manager and steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 7-10+ years of work experience
- 5+ years people management experience
- Strong career progression and track record of successfully executing high profile events with VIP audiences
- Manage small team (5 people) and supervise additional administrative contractors and tour guides
- 0-10% travel
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Experience leading a team of events professionals.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.