Argonne National Laboratory HPC Systems Administration Associate in Lemont, Illinois
HPC Systems Administration Associate
Requisition Number: 408423 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: LCF-Leadership Computing Facility
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Joint Laboratory for System Evaluation (JLSE) is a collaboration between the Mathematics and Computer Science (MCS) Division and the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) tasked with the evaluation of prototype hardware and software platforms for computing and computational science activities across Argonne National Laboratory.
As a JLSE systems administrator, you will install and manage a diverse array of hardware and software. You are highly technical and will work directly with other server and service administrators to ensure the continued expansion, reliability, and sustainability of the JLSE service infrastructure as well as compliance with internal policies. Success in this role means you are able to support servers in a mixed operating system environment and work efficiently with other operations groups. Researchers will rely on your guidance when it comes to the environment so you will have a direct impact in keeping research productive.
- Experience implementing, troubleshooting, and supporting Linux/Unix operating systems.
- Experience with Puppet, Chef, Ansible or equivalent configuration management tool.
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Python).
- Must be able to lift 30+ pounds.
- Must be able to pass an Office of Personnel Management National Background Investigations Bureau background investigation.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, related technical field, along with 2 years of experience, or equivalent.
- Experience building custom packages for RHEL/CentOS using RPM.
- Experience implementing systems-level security technologies like SELinux and following security best-practices.
- Familiarity with tools like GitHub and GitLab.
- Experience with in the field of datacenter infrastructure management (UNIX/Docker/ Kubernetes/ Microservices)
- Knowledge of Storage Area Networking and associated storage arrays.
- Experience using tools such as Grafana and Nagios to monitor systems, metrics, and create dashboards.
- Experience deploying and maintaining virtualized environments using VMWare.
- Knowledge of networking.
Application Documents :
- Cover letter (optional); upload PDF
- List of four reference names and email addresses. Referees may be colleagues or supervisors who can attest to your ability and potential.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.