Argonne National Laboratory HPC Systems Administration Specialist in Lemont, Illinois
HPC Systems Administration Specialist
Requisition Number: 408422 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: LCF-Leadership Computing Facility
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Design, implement, and manage ALCF supercomputers and supporting software and infrastructure for researchers. Managing this environment will involve building, supporting, and documenting a diverse array of hardware and software. You have advanced knowledge of Linux, are interested in HPC emerging trends and workflows, and are able to work directly with other server and service administrators to ensure the continued expansion, reliability, and sustainability of ALCF systems. Success in this role means you are able to support servers in a mixed operating system environment and work efficiently with other operations groups. Researchers will rely on your guidance when it comes to the environment so you will have a direct impact on keeping research productive.
- Bachelor’s Degree + 4+ years of experience, a Masters Degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent
- Extensive Linux experience
- Experience with parallel file systems and cluster operations
- Extensive experience with scripting languages (e.g., Python).
- Experience with Puppet, Chef, Ansible or equivalent configuration management tools
- Experience with version control platforms (e.g. Git/BitBucket, SVN)
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Software packaging, building software from source, and dynamic linking
- Software build tools (CMake, Make, Autotools, etc)
- Container orchestration frameworks
- HPC workflows
- Virtualization stacks
- Cray HPC systems
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.