Argonne National Laboratory HPC Systems Administration Specialist in Lemont, Illinois
HPC Systems Administration Specialist
Requisition Number: 408519 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: LCF-Leadership Computing Facility
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where “dream teams” of world- class researchers work alongside experts from industry, academia and other government laboratories to address vital national challenges in clean energy, environment, technology and national security.
The selected individual will participate in the design, development, and advancement of the high-performance computing (HPC) environment of the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF). In addition, they will assist with implementation, management, and administration of experimental and production networks. This person will contribute ideas to the design and development of new systems and network tools. The focus of this position will be on continuous integrations technologies compatible with the environment.
- Knowledge and expertise in UNIX systems administration, with emphasis on Linux.
- Expertise in installation, management and use of software such as compilers, scientific applications, job resource managers, and Web Applications.
- Knowledge and expertise in technologies such as TCP/IP and related protocols; networked file systems, including NFS.
- Knowledge of systems administration tools and languages, such as Perl, Python, C, PHP and shell scripts.
- Expertise in configuration management technologies.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Flexibility in handling assignments and working on several projects simultaneously.
- Understanding of the software development process and best practices with a focus on Continuous Integration
- Bachelor’s Degree + 4 years of experience, or a Master’s Degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent
- Knowledge of Gitlab CI/CD, Gitlab Server and Gitlab Runner management
- Good knowledge of parallel and cluster file systems such as Lustre and GPFS.
- Understanding of MPI implementations such as MPICH and LAMS.
- Good familiarity with the hardware and software of mass storage systems.
- Knowledge of high performance networking technologies such as Infiniband and Omni-Path.
- Knowledge of high performance computing techniques, graphics, and visualization.
- Flexibility in handling assignments, with working on several projects simultaneously, adjustments to changes in priority, and taking direction from multiple sources.
- Ability to gather site requirements and represent them to design and development teams to find appropriate solutions across multiple sites.
- Understanding of cloud authentication and integrations and IdP such as OAuth or SAML
- Abitlity to collaborate with a distributed team leveraging communication tools such as email, Slack, Confluence, and video conferencing and expected 4-6 travel events per year.
- Ability to communicate and present ideas, status, design concepts, technical and user documentation, and decision analysis
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.