Argonne National Laboratory Human Resources Generalist (HRG) in Lemont, Illinois
Human Resources Generalist (HRG)
Requisition Number: 405392 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Human Resources Division: HRS-Human Resource Services
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PA4 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory, one of the nation’s largest science and engineering research labs, employs roughly 3,200 employees including approximately 1,000 scientists and engineers. Our mission is to apply a unique mix of world-class science, engineering, and user facilities to deliver innovative research and technologies. We create new knowledge that addresses the most important scientific and societal needs of our nation. At Argonne, we view the world from a different perspective. Our scientists and engineers conduct world-class research in clean energy, the environment, technology, national security and more. We’re finding creative ways to prepare the world for a better future.
The HR Generalist is a key member of our HR team, providing support to the Human Resources Managers (HRMs) for a wide variety of activities across multiple HR practices including but not limited to employee relations, performance management, job compensation and job classification, organizational change, and strengthening related human resources communications within the Directorates (departments).
Responsibilities are varied, requiring a high degree of confidentiality, discretion, independent judgment, and multitasking. Your work will:
- Scope/Knowledge: Frequently contribute to continuous improvement efforts around HR processes and practices. Employ expertise as a generalist or specialist.
- Complexity: Develop resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of experienced judgement and creativity.
- Freedom to Act: Work is often accomplished without considerable direction. Exert some latitude in determining objectives of assignment.
- Impact: Erroneous decisions or recommendations would normally result in the inability to reach crucial organizational objectives and may have a prolonged effect, as well as result in the expenditure of substantial resources.
- Interaction: Represent the HR organization as one of several customer contacts and often performs in a program/project leadership role. Interact with all levels of employees, including supervisors and managers, on matters requiring coordination across organizational lines.
The minimum requirements for this position are:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and 6 + years of post-degree work experience or equivalent.
- Experience required in an HR Generalist or related role, with predominant experience and knowledge in employee relations, compensation, HR project management and implementation, regulations and performance management.
- Considerable experience with enterprise-wide HRIS systems, Workday preferred.
- Ability to identify and articulate tactical and strategic approaches and translate into actionable plans; decisive and results-oriented.
- Ability to partner and collaborate with HR team members, leaders, and employees to effectively obtain results and achieve organizational goals.
- Experience applying independent judgment on employee relations issues and working closely and effectively with leadership at different levels of the organization.
- Considerable interpersonal, negotiation and customer skills with an ability to establish rapport with others.
- Ability to think strategically and implement ideas/programs tactically.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to manipulate data in Excel with knowledge of formulas and pivot tables.
- Considerable understanding of HR-related regulations including but not limited to Age Discrimination Act, FMLA, ADA, FLSA, Title 7 and state laws.
- Good problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.