Argonne National Laboratory Manager, Engineering Services in Lemont, Illinois
Manager, Engineering Services
Requisition Number: 408559 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: EOF-Experimental Operations and Facilities
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RDL2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Engineering Services (ES) Section is located within the Experimental Operations and Facilities Division and is made up of two groups which provide mechanical engineering, design, and drafting services to the various programmatic divisions of the Laboratory. The Engineering Services Section works with Laboratory engineers and scientists to develop equipment and apparatus used for scientific and engineering research.
The responsibility of the ES Manager is to manage the overall operation of the ES Section. This includes assignment, coordination, and supervision of the group. Works with Laboratory internal customers to ensure timeliness and quality of deliverables. Manages the Design group supervisor. Monitor and supervise the processing of the cost center income and time reporting. In addition to management function, this person provides project leadership of components and equipment in support of scientific research projects.
1. Manages day to day activities of Engineering Services:
- Manage the work of the ES Section to ensure timeliness and quality of design delivery
- Resolve conflicts
- Ensure adherence to Laboratory, and divisional, and section procedures
2. Control costs by maximizing ES sales ratio
- Balance workload between engineers
- Anticipate and Identify new work tasks for engineers coming of projects
- Develop annual section budget and review budget status in monthly meetings
3. Provide oversight and direction of the group
- Manage Design/Drafting Group by providing direction/oversight to Design Group Supervisor
- Provide technical direction/oversight to engineering staff as needed
- Mentor junior staff
- Develop common practices in engineering design and analysis and documentation
- Monitor group efficiency and find ways to develop more efficient workflows
- Write annual performance appraisals
4. Establish and implement strategy for the section
- Develop, refine, and implement strategic direction for group aligned with division goals.
- Interact with customers to understand current and future needed capabilities
- Keep up to date on current engineering tools and practices and incorporate into future strategy.
5. Develop and maintain customer relationships
- Meet regularly with existing customers to ensure needs and expectations are met
- Identify new opportunities and work tasks for section
- Identify needed capabilities
6. Model core values and support Lab’s DEI Initiatives
7. May function as an individual contributor through engineering tasks and or preferably project leadership.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.