Argonne National Laboratory Mechanical/HVAC Engineer in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 405386 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Facilities/Security/Waste Management Division: FAC-Facilities Division
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT4 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory is searching for a talented Mechanical/HVAC Engineer to join its Facilities team within the Infrastructure Services Directorate.
This position is for a lead Mechanical/HVAC Engineer with responsibilities for engineering development of mechanical system concepts, processes, designs, and equipment for major APS systems and facilities. A successful candidate would be able to interact with Building Maintenance, Contractors, Project Managers, and occupants to plan, design and oversee the reconfiguration, maintenance, modification, improvements and alteration of HVAC and mechanical systems.
- Conducts assessments and recommends technical, engineering, designs and solutions.
- Gathers and reviews data concerning facility or equipment specifications, code or government requirements, and construction feasibility.
- Reviews and estimates design costs including equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs.
- Coordinates with architecture/engineering firms in developing design criteria and preparing layout and detail drawings.
- Inspects construction, installation, commissioningandoperation to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules.
- Execute small to large projects to meet expectations for technical excellence, budgetandschedule.
- Maintain effective communication with building users, contractorsandother project team members.
- Achieve greater results by working together across boundaries, actively sharing information, and promoting a sense that we're all in this together.
- Establish courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Actively participate as a team member to move the team toward the completion of goals; facilitating goal accomplishment; listening to and fully involving others in team decisions and actions; valuing and using individual differences and talents; sharing important or relevant information with the team.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of and experience in building systems including mechanical equipment, building automation, and systems commissioning.
- Strong knowledge of building mechanical systems such as air-handlers, pumping systems, chilled water systems, and hot water systems.
- Experience with Mission Critical Facilities, Laboratory Buildings, and/or Clean Room Facilities.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; assists in the preparation of technical reports and papers; listens to and understands instructions, and requests clarification as required.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and to achieve desired goals on schedule and within budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, orother applicable engineering disciplinewith 4+ years of experience.
- Registration as a professional engineer is highly preferred.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, dutiesandresponsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT4 or PT5) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a PT4 Level: Bachelor’s and 6+ years or equivalent, some occupations may requiregraduatedegree and 4+ years or equivalent.
- At a PT5 Level: Bachelor’s and 10+ years or equivalent, some occupations may requiregraduatedegree and 6+ years or equivalent.
Argonne National Laboratory is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists, engineers, and business professionals work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment. Ever since we were born out of the University of Chicago’s work on the Manhattan Project in the 1940s, our goal has been to make an impact — from the atomic to the human to the global scale.
At Argonne, we explore the world together in order to build a better one!
The world’s best and brightest minds come to Argonne—minds that are curious and bursting with new ideas. Minds that have a passion for excellence and innovation. Whether it be for premier research opportunities, a chance to blend work and home life, a diverse community of colleagues or a place where others genuinely care about the planet, Argonne offers something for you. We offerwork-lifebalance, professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. Argonne also offers a comprehensive array of exceptional benefits to meet a variety of needs. In addition to medical, dental, life and disability coverage, you’ll have access to paid time off, a retirement plan with a generous match and a number of other benefits, such asonsitewellness facilities, an on-site child care center and auto and homeowners’ insurance.
At Argonne National Laboratory you will have the opportunity to contribute to and support research that addresses our nation’s challenges and advances the frontiers of science and technology. Our science impacts the world and you can be a part of that! Whatever your role—scientist, engineer, or support staff--there is a path for you here at Argonne.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.