Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee - Building Scientist in Lemont, Illinois
Postdoctoral Appointee - Building Scientist
Requisition Number: 408434 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: ES-Energy Systems
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Collaborates with a multidisciplinary team in the development of fundamental building science, building-to-grid integration, and urban science. Innovates in the development and deployment of physics-based and data analytic tools and technologies for building systems, whole buildings, energy systems, and urban systems. Communicates impactful research outcomes through internal reports, peer-reviewed publications, and conference presentations.
The candidate is expected to have a strong engineering background with demonstrated experience in building science and building energy modeling, especially in uncertainty quantification.
- PhD in architecture, architectural engineering, or mechanical engineering. Research experience in building science and building energy modeling.
- Experience with building energy modeling using EnergyPlus and/or OpenStudio
- Knowledge of conventional and emerging building modeling tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of fundamental building sciences.
- Experience with building energy modeling tools other thanEnergyPlus/OpenStudio
- Experience with uncertainty quantification of system models
- Experience in working with multidisciplinary research teams.
- Experience with modern scientific computing methods for large scale simulations on high performance computing infrastructure for building energy modeling and uncertainty quantification.
- Experience in establishing research collaborations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically and work independently.
- Experience supervising research work
- Experience with developing machine learning and data-analytic tools.
- Knowledge of relevant DOE Office funding mechanisms and strategic outlook
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.