Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee - Computational Biology in Lemont, Illinois
Postdoctoral Appointee - Computational Biology
Requisition Number: 405513 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: DSL-Data Science and Learning Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Data Science and Learning Division in the Directorate of Computing Environment and Life Sciences at Argonne National Laboratory seeks a qualified postdoctoral candidate with a PhD (or a verified degree conferral date in the spring 2019 semester) in microbiology, bioinformatics, or a related discipline.
Candidates with PhDs in the hard sciences or engineering having experience in bioinformatics are also strongly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have a verified peer-reviewed publication record and experience using python, perl, R or related programming languages. Previous experience building machine learning and deep learning models with an an accompanying understanding of their underlying principles is strongly preferred.
The successful candidate will work closely with the RAST and PATRIC teams to build and apply machine learning techniques to understand and predict bacterial virulence, antimicrobial resistance, gene expression levels and various other bacterial phenotypes from “omics” data sets. The incumbent will be expected to work collaboratively in a large interdisciplinary group. He/She will aso be expected to independently develop, test and verify their own computational experiments. The candidate will also be expected to report on results of research including publishing scholarly papers in scientific journals, giving presentations at conferences, meetings, and seminars. They will aslo participate in the preparation of reports and proposals required by funding agencies to obtain and continue funding support.
We expect you to have:
- PhD in bioinformatics, microbiology, computer science, or a related hard science
- Experience with machine learning, deep learning, and/or statistics
- Experince with bioinformatics analysis techniques and tools (fluency in python or perl preferred)
- Experience processing DNA sequence and other “omics” data
- Understanding of computational algorithms to support DNA sequence alignment, small nucleotide polymorphism detection
- Familiarity with bacterial genomics and metagenomics (demonstrated work in microbiology preferred)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to write research reports and publications required
- Ability to think independently and innovatively to develop exceptional technical solutions required
- Familiarity with command line
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required
- Collaborative skills, including the ability to interact well with external collaborators preferred
Applications Must Include the Following :
- Curriculum vitae, including list of publications, abstracts, and significant presentations
- List of three reference names and email addresses. Referees may be a member of the dissertation committee, colleagues, other supervisors, or other professors, who can attest to your ability and potential.
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists, engineers, and business professionals work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment . Ever since we were born out of the University of Chicago’s work on the Manhattan Project in the 1940s, our goal has been to make an impact — from the atomic to the human to the global scale.
At Argonne, we explore the world together in order to build a better one.
Whether it be for premier research opportunities, a chance to blend work and home life, a diverse community of colleagues or a place where others genuinely care about the planet, Argonne offers something for you. We offer work-life balance, professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. Argonne also offers a comprehensive array of exceptional benefits to meet a variety of needs. In addition to medical, dental, life and disability coverage, you’ll have access to paid time off, and a number of other benefits, such as onsite wellness facilities, an on-site child care center and auto and homeowners’ insurance.
You are encouraged to visit www.anl.gov to learn more about who we are and how you can make an impact on the world!
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.