Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee – Engineering Modeling in Lemont, Illinois
Postdoctoral Appointee – Engineering Modeling
Requisition Number: 408778 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: ES-Energy Systems
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Perform Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations of Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) fuel spray, ignition and combustion using High-Performance Computing (HPC) tools. Use Machine Learning tools to gain further insights into complex datasets that are generated. Explore the use of hybrid computing architectures for ICE simulations using commercial code CONVERGE.
The successful candidate’s research will involve synergetic collaborations with a multidisciplinary team involving engine modelers and experimentalists, and computational scientists to enhance the predictive capability of engine modeling codes.
- Knowledge of multi-dimensional code development (in C++/C/Fortran) for turbulent combustion modeling, internal combustion engine theory and operation, and parallel scientific computing is required.
- Experience in modeling and simulation of reacting flows in devices using CFD codes (e.g. CONVERGE, OpenFoam, etc.) is desired.
- Experience in performing simulations on hybrid computing architectures is desired.
- Experience in geometry manipulation with computer-aided design software is desired.
- Knowledge of large scientific code management and optimization is desirable.
- Collaborative skills, including the ability to work well with other divisions, laboratories, and universities.
- Strong oral communication and written skills.
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaborative research is desirable.
- Candidates should have a Ph.D. in mechanical/aerospace engineering, applied mathematics, chemical engineering, or a related discipline.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.