Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee - IME Polymer Group in Lemont, Illinois
Postdoctoral Appointee - IME Polymer Group
Requisition Number: 405418 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: MSD-Materials Science Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The polymer group at the Institute for Molecular Engineering (IME@Argonne) and Materials Science Division (MSD) is in search of a postdoctoral candidate to perform novel research to characterize important physical properties of viscoelastic materials formed from polyelectrolyte complexes (PECs).
A successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team working with a group of scientists both at ANL and the University of Chicago (UChicago) conducting research to understand precision synthesis of self-assembling polymers and in advanced materials for energy water systems.
In this role you will:
- Be responsible for developing, conducting, and managing experiments that have the potential to determine general experimental laws as suitable bases for predictive theory development for the interaction of interfacial tension and viscoelastic properties. Expertise in microscopy and rheology techniques are required.
- The candidate is expected to seek collaborations with other scientists in MSD and IME@Argonne, as well as mentor graduate students from the Institute for Molecular Engineering at both ANL and UChicago.
- Publish results in a refereed journal and make oral presentations at meetings, conferences, symposia, and seminars.
- Maintain a knowledge of the latest developments in the field and related groups through interactions and collaborative efforts.
- Participate in maintaining technical reports and other documents associated with the operation of the lab, along with reports on experimental progress, technical developments and new initiatives to peer reviews and program managers.
We expect you to have:
- A Ph.D. in chemical or materials engineering, polymers and soft matter, or related field.
- Normal daytime work hours at the Argonne site, but occasional travel and some overtime/nighttime may be required.
- Ability to work without constant direction in the performance of routine tasks.
- Demonstrated experience with rheology and microscopy are required.
- Strong written and oral communication.
- Strong skills in collaboration and the ability to work with a team in a diverse interdisciplinary environment.
- Experience with advanced data analysis.
- Direct research experience in precision synthesis of self-assembling polymers and in advanced materials.
- Experience with mentoring students.
To be eligible, candidates must have completed their Ph.D. within the last three years.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.