Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee - Pyroprocess in Lemont, Illinois
Postdoctoral Appointee - Pyroprocess
Requisition Number: 407072 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: CFC-Chemical and Fuel Cycle Technologies
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree or equivalent
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
With mentoring, Postdoctoral Appointee will be part of an R&D team conducting use-inspired research that focuses on developing innovative molten salt technologies,
including the pyrochemical treatment of used nuclear fuel with the goal of recovering actinides for use in advanced reactors and isolating the fission products
for encapsulation in durable waste forms. Specific tasks will include characterizing the thermophysical properties of molten salt systems; developing advanced
used nuclear fuel treatment concepts and flowsheets; design, fabrication, and evaluation of pyrochemical methods for recovering actinides from complex molten salt systems;
elucidating the process chemistry associated with separation systems; and developing computer models that describe the separations process.
- Knowledge of thermodynamics, kinetics, and inorganic chemistry concepts as applied to nuclear chemical separation systems.
- Skill in devising, performing, and evaluating experiments and maintaining laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of computer applications for data acquisition and analysis.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of computer codes used in data analysis and modeling of chemical systems.
- Knowledge of high-temperature chemical processes.
- Knowledge of actinide and molten salt chemistry demonstrated through prior research activities.
- Knowledge of safe handling of molten salts or radioactive materials demonstrated through prior research activities.
U.S. citizenship is required for this position.Selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance and must be a U.S. citizen.
Please see http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm for more information about requirements for obtaining a security clearance process.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.