Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 407084 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: XSD-X-Ray Science Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Not Indicated
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
This position will involve the development and application of coherent surface scattering imaging (CSSI). CSSI combines grazing-incidence x-ray scattering and coherent x-ray imaging techniques to reconstruct exact mesoscale structures of surfaces, buried interfaces and supported thin films. In addition to deepening the fundamental understanding of grazing-incidence coherent scattering, this project will also prepare for the applications of enhanced coherence properties of the APS-U (Advanced Photon Source Upgrade). The selected applicant will work as a part of a multidisciplinary research team comprised of scientists from Argonne’s X-Ray Science, Nanoscale Science and Technology, and Mathematics and Computer Sciences Divisions to develop, implement, and optimize innovative phase retrieval algorithms to reconstruct surface objects. The applicant will also be involved in designing and carrying out CSSI experiments at synchrotron radiation facilities for concept and algorithm demonstrations.
- Understanding of the principles of coherent imaging in coherent diffractive imaging and/or ptychography. Understanding of surface x-ray scattering is not required but is preferred.
- Ability to program in scientific programming languages (such as Python, MATLAB etc.) for fast implementation and experimenting with prototype reconstruction algorithms.
- Experience of synchrotron x-ray scattering or imaging experiment is an added preference.
- Strong communication skills for working in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Strong self-motivation and interest in researching relevant topics.
- Presentation and writing skills for describing research, clearly communicating results and data, and publishing results in refereed journals.
- Candidates should have a Ph.D. in physics, applied physics/mathematics, computational science or related discipline with expertise in coherent x-ray scattering and/or imaging.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.