Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 408762 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: CSE-Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The CSE Division is looking for a postdoctoral candidate that will conduct research in homogeneous and supported organometallic and inorganic catalysis for applications including the activation and transformation of small molecules such as CO2 to value added products. Design, synthesize, and characterize new metal-ligand complexes, support these complexes onto high surface area scaffolds, and evaluate the catalytic activity of these materials. This research program may include studies towards understanding reaction mechanisms through reaction kinetics analysis and other physical organic and inorganic techniques. This position will also interface with a multidisciplinary team in the areas of photocatalysis, X-ray spectroscopy, and inorganic materials synthesis.
We expect you to have:
- Knowledge of and experimental expertise in synthesis and characterization of complex ligand platforms and air-sensitive transition metal complexes and in conducting kinetic and mechanistic studies is essential.
- Strong written and oral communication skills is a requirement.
- Experience in ligand design and analytical techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, infrared and ultraviolet spectroscopy and would be an asset.
- Hands on experience with high throughput experimentation equipment would also be an asset for this position.
- This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in organic, organometallic, or inorganic chemistry at the Ph.D. degree level with 0 to 3 years of experience or equivalent in the scientific application of this knowledge and practical laboratory experience.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.