Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 410179 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: CSE-Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
meetings. + Maintaincomprehensive knowledge of pertinentliterature. + Developnew ideas, concepts, and/or research proposals.
" />Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
We invite you to apply for a Postdoctoral Appointee position within our Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division (CSE).
Under the guidance of a supervisor you will conduct fundamental research on solar energy conversion in natural photosynthetic systems and design biohybrid complexes for solar driven fuels production. Research includes protein bioinorganic and biochemistry techniques, the development of methods to augment native and modified photosynthetic protein frameworks with abiotic cofactors, and the characterization of structure-function relationships in hybrid assemblies using a range of spectroscopic techniques.
In this role you will:
- Participate in protein isolation, and characterization.
- Develop bioinorganic methods for protein modification enabling structure-function analysis of native photosynthetic systems and the insertion of abiotic cofactors into photosynthetic protein frameworks.
- Characterize the structure, electron transfer properties, and catalytic function of native protein-protein interactions and hybrid assemblies using a range of biophysical spectroscopic techniques.
- Analyze data, prepare manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed publications, and make presentations at scientificmeetings.
- Maintaincomprehensive knowledge of pertinentliterature.
- Developnew ideas, concepts, and/or research proposals.
We expect you to have:
- Considerable knowledge of and experimental expertise in one or more of the following areas: Protein isolation, protein modification, protein function characterization, protein cofactor characterization, protein structure characterization.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong skill in data processing, evaluation, andinterpretation.
- Strong skill in working in an interdisciplinary research team setting.
- Some knowledge of and experimental expertise in protein design and expression using recombinant DNA and microbial protein expression techniques, organic/inorganic chemistry, biophysics, TA and EPR spectroscopy.
This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in bioinorganic chemistry, biochemistry, or biophysical chemistry or related disciplines at the Ph.D. degree level with 0 to 3 years of experience or equivalent in the scientific application of this knowledge and practical laboratory experience.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.