Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Associate – Materials Scientist/Engineer, Cathode Battery Materials in Lemont, Illinois
Postdoctoral Associate – Materials Scientist/Engineer, Cathode Battery Materials
Requisition Number: 410134 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: AMD-Applied Materials Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The successful candidate will be involved in concept and laboratory work to develop, synthesize, characterize and electrochemically evaluate next generation cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries.
The Applied Materials Division is seeking a recently graduated (2018-2021) candidate for a postdoctoral appointment to conduct general research in material science and electrochemistry related to next generation cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries. The selected individual will work under supervision and will assist the Lead PI on developing experimental methods and techniques to synthesize these new materials. The candidate needs to be familiar with electrochemical testing and evaluating of these materials. Preferences will be given to candidate available for immediate hiring.
- A doctorate degree in material science or related chemistry science with 0 to 2 years of post-graduate experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge in the areas of materials science, metallurgical and ceramic engineering including hands-on, practical laboratory experience with material synthesis and processing, and analytical methods is required.
- Knowledge and experience in the following areas are highly desirable: continuous/batch co-precipitation reactions, solid state synthesis, ability to work with larger equipment or experience in kilo-scale synthesis, electrochemistry, and lithium-ion battery chemistry.
- Additional hands-on experience on: XRD & Refinement, SEM-EDX, TGA, BET, coin-cell preparation and testing. TEM, FIB-SEM and Synchrotron XRD characterizations would be desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and on a timely basis with the supervisory personnel on all developments or matters resulting from the work activities.
- Ability to maintain organized notebooks and project files.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- A high commitment to safety.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
What will put you ahead?
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery chemistry and materials, experience with working with larger equipment or experience in kilo-scale synthesis, electrochemical testing and evaluation of battery materials.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.