Argonne National Laboratory RD1/RD2 Mechanical Engineering Specialist in Lemont, Illinois
RD1/RD2 Mechanical Engineering Specialist
Requisition Number: 405565 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: PSC-Photon Sciences
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD1 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Execute magnet design, documentation, procurement and acceptance testing; provide planning, engineering design, development of detailed drawings, and oversee ordering and manufacturing of magnet cores, coils, tooling, and final assembly and testing needed to build production accelerator magnets for the APS upgrade. Ensure finished magnet assembly designs with complete drawing sets, assembly documents, and test results.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Engineering design, development of models and detailed drawings.
- Provide documentation to support engineering
- Create and oversee procurements
- Provide planning and scheduling for projects
- Work with others
- Oversee ordering and manufacturing of magnet cores, coils, tooling, and final assembly and testing needed to build production accelerator magnets for the APS upgrade
- Oversee testing and acceptance of the final product
- Ensure finished magnet assembly designs with complete drawing sets, assembly documents, and test results.
- Provide vendor oversight with good communication skills.
- Travel to vendors (both national and international) (5-10%)
Considerable skill in:
- Development and design of accelerator magnets.
- 3D CAD modeling of accelerator components including magnets and associated hardware.
Good knowledge of:
- Creating, reading and interpreting mechanical drawings and assembly instructions related to accelerator magnets design, manufacturing, and assembly.
- Collaboration with technicians, machine operators, vendors, and other professionals, within and outside the engineering sector to aid in completing and improving accelerator magnet manufacturing and assembly.
- Development and design of accelerator components.
- Magnet material selection and magnet manufacturing and machining processes and techniques.
- Electrical assemblies and wiring diagrams related to accelerator magnet design.
Good experience in:
- Safety awareness, design skills, presenting technical information, equipment maintenance, conceptual skills, quality focus, control engineering, and production planning.
- Managing projects using engineering principles and techniques.
- Technical report writing skills.
- Machine shop selection and manufacturing processes.
RD1 Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree or Associate's Degree and 3+ years of experience
RD2 Requirements: Bachelor’s in engineering or science and 5+ years of experience or equivalent
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.