Argonne National Laboratory Safety Specialist in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 407385 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Safety and Quality Assurance Division: WSH-Worker Safety and Health
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT4 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
UChicago/Argonne LLC is the prime contractor to the Department of Energy and responsible for operating Argonne National Laboratory, a premier scientific facility. This safety specialist position will work as a team member providing safety services in support of its researchers and the campus infrastructure operations. Communicate and support the implementation of health, safety and environmental requirements and programs to line management, researchers and workers in your assigned area. Work in partnership with line management, researchers, workers, and other safety professionals providing hands-on technical assistance and consultative support to deliver best-in-class solutions consistent with Argonne’s integrated safety management processes. Participate in hazard and risk mitigation analyses, share best practices, and serve as a local ESH resource.
Assignments may include: monitoring and implementing safety systems and programs to control chemical, physical, environmental, industrial, and biological hazards; accident and injury investigations; safety assessments and reviews; and facility inspections. Leads the development of safety and work planning and control documentation; and interprets laboratory safety policies and procedures. Is the Division Point of Contact for ESH-related matters. Identifies and develops resolution to complex problems associated with safety reviews, internal/external assessments, audits, facility/equipment inspections, and hazard evaluations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Ability to implement corporate environment, safety, and health policies and procedures in research and operations environments in support of the Department of Energy (DOE) policies, orders, and guidance.
- Ability to develop innovative approaches for implementing safety programs and controls that meet industrial safety regulations and requirements in support of a research campus environment.
- Knowledge of OSHA 1910 General Industry and OSHA 1926 Construction with demonstrated competencies in numerous OSHA disciplines such as fall protection, excavation, and scaffolding.
- Considerable technical expertise and knowledge about facility operations and maintenance including steam, water, electric, cooling, and waste treatment infrastructure systems for over 30 major campus buildings.
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in the application of safety controls for confined space entries, materials handling, hoisting and rigging, mechanical, electrical, and pressure systems, custodial operations and grounds maintenance is preferred.
- Experience in working with contractors in construction and high-risk service activities in support of infrastructure operations.
- Ability to determine priorities among multiple projects and provide timely customer service in support of those projects and operational needs.
- Ability to effectively listen and understand problems, interface with management and workers to solve issues, and then communicate solutions orally and in writing to maintain effective interpersonal working relationships.
- Ability to work within and effectively communicate as part of a deployed ESH team.
- Knowledge in industrial safety monitoring methodologies and equipment including those associated with Industrial Hygiene and Health Physics.
- Effective interactions with internal and external industrial safety professionals.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification (or similar) and Professional Engineering License preferred.
- Certification or ability to work towards certification as a Safety Professional (CSP), desirable.
PT4 - A B.S. degree in Occupational Safety, or a scientific/engineering discipline, with 6+ years of experience working in industrial safety program activities related to operations and infrastructure is preferred.
PT5 - A B.S. degree in Occupational Safety, or a scientific/engineering discipline, with 10+ years of experience working in industrial safety program activities related to operations and infrastructure is preferred.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.