Argonne National Laboratory Software Engineer in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 408425 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: CLS-Computing, Environment and Life Sciences
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
We invite you to apply for a Software Engineer role within our CELS organization in support of the KBase system. The Computational Biology Group within the Data Science and Learning division participates in the development of the KBase platform as well as projects studying chemistry occurring within microbiome systems. The DOE Systems Biology Knowledgebase (KBase) aims to provide a computational environment to meet the key challenges of systems biology: predicting and ultimately designing biological function. KBase enables secure sharing of data, tools, methods, and conclusions in a unified, extensible system that allows researchers to collaboratively generate, test, and share hypotheses about biological functions; perform large-scale analyses on scalable computing infrastructure; and combine multiple lines of evidence to accurately model plant and microbial physiology and community dynamics.
We seek someone to provide the following functions:
- Participate in development of new KBase scientific applications and web views of app output
- Participate in research linking metabolomics data to biological system omics data
- Communication and coordination of new application, pipeline, and method development
Documentation of issues, procedures, and practices
Extensive experience with Python programming language
- Experience with AGILE development process
- Experience with web services (REST, JSON)
- Experience with Git/GitHub
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and computer knowledge
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Flexibility in dealing with assignments and in working on several projects simultaneously
- Clear and concise written documentation skills
- Bachelor’s Degree + 4 years of experience, or a Master’s Degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.