Argonne National Laboratory Telecommunications and Data Cabling Technic in Lemont, Illinois
Telecommunications and Data Cabling Technic
Requisition Number: 408742 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: BIS-Business and Information Services
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): 119360 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
As part of the Enterprise Communications and Cabling team in the BIS IT Infrastructure department, the telecommunications and data cabling technician is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Laboratory structured cabling infrastructure and components related to campus telephones and telephony systems, networking systems, and communications systems. Technicians will work independently under supervision or as a team member to accomplish larger assignments. Technicians will coordinate activities with other groups, perform documentation activities, and perform work in a team environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing moves, adds, changes, and troubleshooting of campus telephones and connected telephony systems
- Pulling, terminating, maintaining, labeling, and testing multiple types of cabling, including Category 6A (CAT6A) cable, fiber optic cable, coax cable, copper and fiber optic riser cables, etc.
- installation of support structures including cable racks, j-hooks, inner-duct, ladder rack, and IT cabinets
- Locating, tracing and identifying cables
- Fiber optic termination, fusion splicing, testing, and troubleshooting utilizing optical time division reflectometer (OTDR) and/or other state-of-the-art tools and techniques with single-mode and multi-mode fiber
- Update cabling installation documentation, including location, type, date, and other relevant information
- Manage inventory of parts, tools, and supplies as needed
This job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned
- Fiber and copper low-voltage cabling experience
- Technicians must have a strong safety record while promoting a safe working environment
- Technicians must maintain a valid Illinois driver’s license and drive a company vehicle
- Sr. Technician: This level of skill is typically attained through completion of an Associate’s Degree with 5 or more years of related experience, or equivalent
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.