Argonne National Laboratory Visual Resource Scientist in Lemont, Illinois
Visual Resource Scientist
Requisition Number: 409214 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: EVS-Environmental Science
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Conduct visual resource and night sky/dark environments research; and develop and/or apply visual resource and night sky/dark environments inventory, impact assessment and mitigation systems and tools for energy and other large-scale onshore and offshore infrastructure projects and land management actions. Work closely with cultural resource specialists, ecologists and physical scientists in a multidisciplinary environment. Produce technical reports and publications of findings and results.
This position requires the following:
- Experience in developing and applying visual resource inventory, impact assessment and mitigation systems.
- Working knowledge of U.S. federal agency visual resource inventory, impact assessment and mitigation systems.
- Skill in designing and conducting field-based and other research activities relating to impact assessment and mitigation for visual and night sky/dark environment resources.
- Considerable skill in written and oral communications.
- Ability to interact effectively with scientific and engineering professionals.
- Ability to meet project deadlines and staying within budgetary limits.
- Demonstrated success in working on several projects simultaneously.
- Must demonstrate excellent career growth potential, including proposal development.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
This is a long-term appointment for one year, renewable up to three years
Please note: work location is negotiable
Applicants with the following experience, skills, or knowledge preferred:
- Geographic information systems.
- Night sky/dark environments impact assessment and mitigation.
- Federal land/water management agency policies and regulations.
- Experience with artificial intelligence and machine learning approaches.
This position can be hired at one of two levels, and the qualifications for each are as follows:
RD2: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years of experience, or a Master’s Degree + 3 years of experience, or a PhD, or equivalent
RD3: Bachelor’s Degree + 8 years of experience, or a Master’s Degree + 5 years of experience, or a PhD + 4 years of experience, or equivalent
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.