Argonne National Laboratory Waste Processing and Shipping Group Leader in Lemont, Illinois
Waste Processing and Shipping Group Leader
Requisition Number: 405455 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Facilities/Security/Waste Management Division: NWM-Nuclear and Waste Management
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PTL1 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
We invite you to apply for a Waste Processing and Shipping Group Leader position within our Nuclear and Waste Management Division (NWM).
In this role you will:
- Support the Waste Management (WM) Department manager.
- Maintain, improve, and execute WM`s waste processing and shipping program, which includes determining whether wastes are sufficiently characterized to support compliant off-site disposition.
- Plan for additional characterization, if necessary.
- Specify characterization requirements.
- Manage resulting data and data quality requirement.
- Specify any required processing (such as segregation, neutralization, solidification, absorption, etc.) to achieve compliant waste forms or meet waste certification requirements.
- Package waste suitably for planned disposition and transportation compliance.
- Plan and execute waste shipping activities.
- Direct the activities of Waste Specialists.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of the regulatory requirements (EPA, NRC, and DOE) associated with radioactive and hazardous waste accumulation, management, transportation (NRC & DOT), treatment, and disposal.
- Knowledge of Argonne’s RCRA Part B Permit and Radioactive Waste Management Basis requirements.
- Understanding of costs/resource commitments for alternative methods of waste management (processing) and disposition.
- Knowledge of waste characterization methods and available options, including representative sampling and analysis, radioactivity survey and contamination detection methods, nondestructive assay, and associated data management methods (including formal data validation).
- Knowledge of the design and operation of waste processing and disposal technology and systems is required.
- Knowledge of radioactive decay as it pertains to waste characterization and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels both within and external to the organization.
- Ability to lead, evaluate, support and develop a team.
- Demonstrated skill in team-building as well as working effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Knowledge of waste minimization, volume reduction and decontamination.
- Demonstrated excellence in project management, planning, strategy, and driving projects to successful outcomes by facilitating the action of others.
- Ability to be highly responsive, meet demanding deadlines, and prioritize projects and issues, without creating an atmosphere of stress or anxiety. Conscientious budget manager and steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.